Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Aspire to Inspire

I've been cleaning up (again) all morning. I find it very hard to motivate myself to do anything when I'm tripping over shipping boxes, sliding on bubble wrap and hunting for the last clean cup in the house. I was beginning to feel like one of those hoarding shows on cable tv. Slippery slope my friends, slippery slope.

Badges by Amy Tavern

With that done I started on my materials list for my Master Muse project and in between (I sometimes have a short attention span) I started looking through Amy Tavern's Flicker stream and was then moved to take a hop to her blog.

She wrote an interesting post about her morning ritual. It only takes an hour and starts her morning off perfectly. I'm just lousy at starting new habits. I've tried morning pages, walks, no news - just music... nothing sticks for very long. But I really like her 15 minute progressions and think I might just give it a go. For a while. : \ Here's a snippet to whet your imagination:

"Every morning I get up early and spend on hour doing a mix of reading, writing and thinking. I break up the hour into 4 sections of 15 minutes each. For the first 15 I read from various books on mindfulness; next I meditate, followed by some automatic writing about my work or studio practice and then I finish by reading a book about jewelry."

Sounds simple enough, good for my lack of sticktoitiveness and might help to congeal some thoughts that have been flitting around my creative cortex. I might extend the hour to include the time to walk to the local cafe for a cup of Chai Latte. So, a few minutes of reading from one of my many self help/spiritual books (Eat, Pray Love for instance); 10 minutes of meditation and 5 of writing; morning walk for the hot brewed yumminess and 15 minutes of self indulgent jewelry exploration. All of this after my daily feline love fest of course.

I have an entire bookcase filled with jewelry books. Many of which I looked through when I got them, but which I haven't cracked since. I think I'll start with the Penland book.

10 comments:

Amery said...

I really like this... I think it might work for me, too. What jewelry books could you not live without?

Hillary Heydle said...

Yes, this might work for me as well. "Baby Steps" has been my motto. Thanks for sharing Lora!

Lora Hart said...

Hm Amery, all of them I think. The ones I own and the ones that have yet to find their way into my collection. I love the 500 series and Tim's Complete Metalsmith. What about you?

Amery said...

Ditto on the 500 books- they are amazing. I also have some books on textile patterns, old symbols, and architecture that I often find inspiring. And then of course, I do a google search on something I want more of- like rose windows or calla lillys or seahorses.

Lora Hart said...

Yeah, I guess I should have included Google Images. Definitely couldn't live with out that! I wanna see the old symbols and your architecture books! When's that damn play date anyway?

Cathy said...

This is great... sounds like good focus time. And I love the Penland book of Jewelry - is that the one you mean?

Phoenix said...

This was a great share. After I wisk my daughter off to school, I'll have to give it go. Then again - THAT morning ritual is pretty interesting in and of itself :)

Nicola said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicola said...

Sounds like a great morning ritual - mine includes surfing blogs then going
"Holy Cr*p I'm late for work again" before hopping round the room trying to stuff legs into jeans, while simultaneously scoffing buttered toast and put make-up on.
Thank goodness I own the shop so my boss wont sack me, lol
Nic xx

April 14, 2010

Cristina Leonard said...

You made me laugh Lora, because not 10 minutes ago I slipped on a piece of bubble wrap on the floor of my studio. I nearly fell out of a window. I had the thought that a few more weeks of sloth and I'll be on one of those hoarding shows!