Monday, November 29, 2010

Becoming a Pro with PRO?

Well, I hardly think that my tiny experiment this morning will qualify me as any kind of an expert. Far from it. But I had a fun play with my 15 g pack of PRO clay courtesy of PMC Connection.


I have a show coming up next weekend so I decided to make some little rolled rings. I divided the pack into 10 slices and began to roll each slice into a snake, which I then wrapped around my Multi Mandrels. Needless to say I realized by the second one that 10 equal slices will not make 10 equal rings on 5 different sized forms. DOH!



After stealing a bit of clay from one of the slices I finally made 5 rings in sizes 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. And since I wrapped a strip of teflex around each form first - they're really 6.5, 7.5, 8.5 and so on. I also set a 1.5 mm white sapphire in the end of each snake. When they're dry I'm going to do a bit of carving and then pop them in the kiln. I'll be interested to find out what size the rings shrink down to. More pictures as they develop.


As advertised, the clay is yummy right out of the pack. The first thing that I noticed is that it is a much darker grey than PMC + or 3. No problem identifying an escapee from the labeled package. Making a bit of home made slip was a breeze. I did take a long time to roll the first coil to length, try it for size, roll it longer, try it again etc - so it did dry a bit and crack as I wrapped it around the mandrel and I had to smush and re roll. But only used a bit of water and didn't "let it rest" as I would have for the other formulas of silver clay. Can't wait to order a regular size package of PRO and make some pierced brooches. I think this clay will be a lot of fun to use.

1 comment:

Phoenix said...

glad you're trying it . . . and looking forward to the update. I have a piece waiting to go into the kiln :)

I also found it lovely to work with, almost a more creamy texture to the PMC+ I regularly use. I can't wait to get some more.

xo-D