Friday, December 17, 2010

Dreams of Time Gone By

I've been feeling envy this morning. The envy of youth. The envy of freedom. The envy of discovery. The envy of passion.

But it's not the green eyed sort of envy. The kind that binds your heart and drains your soul. Not even the green grass kind. It's more the wistful, wishful sort. Perhaps a kind of Samantha Stevens blend of envy and the desire for magical powers. The kind where you can twitch your nose and travel back to an earlier stage in your life and do things differently. Albeit with your current assortment of wisdom and intuition of course.
Linger - Lynette Andreasen

I'm wishing I were at university. Learning every technique under the stars from fabulous instructors with amazing tools and machinery and being introduced to unusual materials and creating the stuff that (my) dreams are made of.  I long to go back to a time when it was all about the learning, the making... and the selling (and teaching) came second, third or fourth.

Home - Lynette Andreasen

Of course, in my actual school years I was singing, didn't think I could draw my way out of a paper bag (hence no physical art in my life) and didn't even finish my first year of Jr. College (didn't want to do the basics - math, english etc). So if I *did* manage to transform into my 19 year old self it would have to be with my current knowledge base and interests.  I actually think of myself as an overgrown adolescent just coming into her own, so maybe it wouldn't be that far of a trip after all.

I'm sure you know by now that I've been surfing the web. I always want to take a trip in the wayback machine after an excursion into cyber space.

Thesis Spoons - Lynette Andreasen

Last year I had a creative crush on Lynette Andreasen. I wish I could remember how I found her. Perhaps on Flickr. She was in graduate school at Arizona State University and starting to work on her thesis. I began reading her blog, stalking her Etsy shop, commenting on her Flickr photos and befriended her on FaceBook. I adore her aesthetic. And I lusted after all the new toys (tools) she was experimenting with to create her lovely work. I even bought some of her thesis spoons after the show so I could have my own little piece(s) of her mystical creativity. 


Brooch Study - Laura Wood

Then this morning I was looking at photos on Crafthaus and fell in love with Laura Wood. Laura is at East Carolina University. Since this is just the very beginning of my love affaire, I don't know too much about her. I do know that she's doing wonderful things with handmade paper including setting it into bezels as brooches and making the most intriguing 3-D wall hangings. I plan on getting lost in her Tumblr later this evening.


Love Hunger - Laura Wood

And then I plan on taking some of my own advice. Practicing the art of 'Mindful Observation'. Figuring out WHY. Trying to decipher exactly *what* it is that I find so exciting about the work of these two young women. Can I learn something from their process? Is it possible to scan the depths of my own experience to school my current methodology?  I'm thinking so. And it won't take a trip into the Twilight Zone to enroll.

Sharing The Heirloom (individual brooches) - Laura Wood

(Margaret - this one's for you)

5 comments:

Elaine from L.A. said...

This is how I feel here in Portland, Lora. I am surrounded by so many talented artists and crafters, that my head is constantly exploding with amazement :~)

Jeannette LeBlanc said...

I agree--I sometimes catch a whiff of "chalk dust" and wish I was back in school. I loved every minute of art school--I actually bounced off the walls from one class to the next taking all the classes that would fit in my schedule. My adviser told me I wouldn't make it as a professional artist as I had no focus. Thank goodness! Or I'd still be a potter and not making jewellery! (Or publishing a magazine about jewellery!) But I would love to get back in the classes where possibilities are endless and see what my artistic voice has to say now. It's been hushed with the "making a living" part of art.

Honey from the Bee said...

Exciting to dream of the possibilities, isn't it? I find it can put me in a state of inactivity not only because I feel I'll never excite someone like these artists have excited you, but also just too many ideas start banging around in my head.

I think you should give yourself permission to be that young thing again and go wild with the fearlessness of youth!

Lynette said...

Aww Lora! You are so sweet!! I love Lauras work too! Her paper stuff is so great!

Angela Crispin said...

Lovely way of putting it, Lora ! And, yes, Samantha Stevens for sure ;o)
Lovely pick for the photos. I think what's also attractive in both school and in the work shown is the freedom. Freedom in choice of material, exploration and expression.