Monday, January 3, 2011

Toot?

I'm one of those people who always answers "Nothing" when asked what's new. I've been trying to change that habit recently, but the impulse is still there. I just don't think there's anything so spectacular happening in my life to answer any other way. Or maybe it's some forgotten deep seated childhood trauma. who knows. You'll notice that it's true for this blog too. I rarely talk about my work here.

Instead of making New Year resolutions (which always get broken before March 1st), I'm going to take Christine Kane's advice and choose a word to define my intention for 2011. This year my word is RISK. And I'm going to start right now. I've never made a list of my accomplishments in the previous year before.  And I'm not actually doing it now to toot my horn for you. I'm doing it to show myself that the world was very generous to me in 2010. Thanks for indulging me a bit.

In no particular order -
1. My work was featured in gorgeous ads from PMC Connection and Whole Lotta Whimsy.
2. I was asked to be a juror for The PMC Guild Annual.
3. My work was featured in The PMC Guild Annual for the 4th time.
4. I was contacted by Lark Books to be a part of a book based on the Ring A Day project.
5. I was asked to be a part of a RAD exhibition for the SNAG conference in Seattle in 2012 and the subsequent show at Punch Gallery.
6. I was asked to become the first Artistic Advisor for PMC Connection.
7. I created a blog for PMC Connection called CornerStone.

Mosaic
Some of my RAD rings

8. I was asked to be one of the 10 inaugural artists for Whole Lotta Whimsy's Master Muse team.
9. I was able to get through 3 straight months making one ring a day.
10. My work was featured on the official postcard for the 25th anniversary of the Contemporary Crafts Market in Santa Monica, California.
11. I was asked to join the Board of Advisors for Metal Clay Artist Magazine.
12. A project propsal of mine was accepted and will be published in Larks' 30 Minute Rings this spring.

I've definitely had my challenges this year too. But reading this list reminds me to savor the sweet gifts from the universe that I've been given. Happy 2011.

6 comments:

Angela Crispin said...

Oh, you are so right, Lora ! It's important to take a look at the accomplishments, and your list is so long !
Congratulations on each and every step life's adventure is taking you !
Yes, we tend to forget what was conquered only looking at what's still left to do, face stuck in the steering wheel ... I know at least I do. So I too might take your good advice and make a list, however small, just to realize that there really was good stuff marking the way throughout the 12 months !

My glass of champagne is up and ready for a toast .. Chin-chin !Here's to you, my friend !!!

Phoenix said...

Congrats Lora! I am excited to see your list! We all have challenges faced and clearly you've overcome. It inspires me. I know, in this last year I have not always overcome but instead succumbed :) Your accomplishments inspire me!

CHEERS! Toot away!

Vickie Hallmark said...

Good idea! You were so successful last year! Congratulations!

I need to go work on this for myself. It's very easy to define my year in terms of all the bad things that happened. Reframing would be a good exercise for me. Thanks for the prompt.

Dina said...

Bravo. You deserve every toot! Now come to the east coast! xo

Metal Clay Artist Magazine said...

Yah! Looks like a great year! I'm very pleased to have you on our Board of Advisers and to see all of the wonderful things you are involved with! Congrats! I can't wait to see your list for 2011!

Lorena Angulo said...

This is a wonderful list my friend!
You have lots of things to be very happy about 2010.
We all have to focus more in the good and take the bad as a learning experience.
Love you tons!!!
CHEERS for a super 2011 !!