Thursday, September 1, 2011

"Have a Good Day at the Office!"

I'm so excited! I've finally found the perfect office space. Somewhere I can write and blog and do research without the adorable interruption of the fur babies. And the rent is remarkably reasonable. I only pay for it when I use it. About $2.00 per hour! Such a deal. Actually I have two new offices. One of them is better for really getting things done, and the other is better for cyber surfing. I bet you have the same office space available in your home town too.

They're two local cafe's that I've been going to for years. I live in under 500 square feet. Since I work for myself, unless I'm teaching, I'm at home. In my studio working on jewelry projects, at the desk writing my book, goofing off... er... re-charging my imagination on the couch, eating dinner - all in the same room. Sometimes I feel like I'm in prison. A nice prison, but still.

So a couple of months ago I got the bright idea to stuff my computer into my oversized bag and head out the door. I can walk down the street to the cafe without wi-fi if I just need to use Word and don't want any distractions, or drive to the cyber cafe if I need to add surfing capabilities. The only thing I have to pay for is coffee, a nosh and parking.

I tend to leave the power cord at home, because I think it would be rude to stay longer than the three hours of battery time. And after three hours I want a break anyway.

Last weekend I was a bit obsessed. I went to the cyber cafe for 2 hours, then to Peet's Coffee (where they have wi-fi as well) to meet a friend and stayed another hour, then drove to the beach and sat at the cement tables. All working on the computer! Finally I gave myself a break and went down to the ocean for a reward.


I love my new offices. I can't think of a better place to really buckle down and get work done.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

That's just awesome! I love your new office too. Can I come over? Oh and one other thing, my captcha word for this post is hotti? Trying to tell me something?

Lora Hart said...

You can come over if you tell me which Jennifer you are. :D

Captcha always knows best.

Phoenix said...

Brilliant . . . as always! Ever the resourceful and talented one ... 'the force is strong in this one . . .'

Moda di Magno said...

Love your offices!

Lorena Angulo said...

Happy to see your happy feet in the sand and water. What a great place to energize yourself and get inspired.
Love you !!!! ♥

Zoe Nelson said...

Wonderful idea! I think I should go to my "office" a couple of times a week. (And my captcha word is insin... you're really getting the messages out there, aren't you? ;) )