Monday, January 16, 2012

Drinkin' in the Artsy Sunshine

As I may have mentioned in a previous post, I live in a teensy apartment. A single. Less than 500 sq. ft. So whenever I get the chance, I get out of it. I've started using a couple of local restaurants as my mobile office for writing articles, cyber surfing and basically taking care of internet related business.

Yesterday was so beautiful in LA that I was wishing I had a balcony so I could wrap up in a blankie, drink coffee, and read a magazine in the chilly sunshine. Then I got the brilliant idea to use a local corner park as my backyard! I grabbed Ornament magazine and headed out the door. There was a furniture blanket in my car, a Starbucks on the corner, and a song in my heart.

Patti Grazini, Joanna Gollberg, Sally Vitsky          

I found a cozy bench, wrapped myself up, and opened my mag. Ornament is a fabulous magazine dedicated to the amazing world of handmade craft. This month's issue has a profile on one of my favorite jewelry artists, Joanna Gollberg, and introduced me to a phenomenal paper artist, Patty Grazini. My cousin, Sally Vitsky, is a paper cut artist so I always have an eye out for that discipline.

See me on the left, scratchin' my weave? 

Imagine my surprise to see a review of the jewelry scene in San Diego with a focus on Jay Whaley Studios, where I took a class in 2010. Now imagine me looking at the accompanying photos to see a photo of myself in Andy Cooperman's class! And to make it even better... it's a photo I actually like. I look kinda cute. :) I was definitely having a good time.

I'm a firm believer that when life hands you lemons (in the form of  a less than ideal living space), you figure out a way to open a lemonade stand. Using my imagination to create a more interesting way to bide my time was one of the best gifts I ever gave myself.

7 comments:

Vickie Hallmark said...

Yes, cute! I'm so jealous of your class with Andy Cooperman! And I wish that my copy of Ornament would appear.

Moda di Magno said...

You look marvelous! How random and exciting to find yourself in Ornament!

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's me in the lower left corner opposite you! That was a fantastic class! However, I never finished my piece! It was a great break from the things going on in my life at the time. Blessed!

Cheers,

Tonya
www.ArtfulSuccess.com
www.wholelottawhimsy.com

Wanaree said...

Love that pic!!! So joyful!

Angela Crispin said...

Absolutely your cute, fun, lovable self having a great time, just like we love you! Sure looked like a great class !

Angela Crispin said...

Oh, and I'm a BIG Ornament fan, as you well know ;o)

michele rannells said...

Congratulations Lora, love to see you in Ornament! You are an inspiration!