Friday, September 28, 2012

Weekend Eye Candy - Granulation Edition


1. granulation globe1, 2. Pin #1: Stamen Series, 2005, 3. Granulation Cuff, 4. RAW52 #10, 5. Untitled Pendant, 6. Trouble With Lichen 12, 7. Gold "Old Work" Earrings, 8. Chameleon brooch for Andy Cooperman, 9. recycled copper boiler with silver granulation

I can't believe it's been two months since I last posted a Weekend Eye Candy. I've had things on my mind and too many balls to juggle. It's nice to see you again. I promise not to stay away so long again.

I love granulation. The ancient Etruscans made the technique famous, but it's enjoying a return to popularity thanks to modern jewelry makers. Traditionally the tiny balls are made by either clipping uniform pieces of wire or making a series of jump rings in a consistent size and then melting them. When metal (and glass) is melted to the flow point, it naturally draws up into a ball.

I developed my own way of making tiny balls out of metal clay. Roll the clay to the thickness of your choice, I roll two cards thick. Then use a cocktail straw to cut a number of disks. Find a place in your palm where the life lines intersect and roll one of the disks into a sphere. Roll hard at first to form the ball with no lines or lumps, then ease the pressure to make a perfect sphere. Be sure to cover the remaining disks with a damp paper towel as you work so they don't dry out.

Can you think of a way that granulation would add a decorative element to your designs?

4 comments:

Janet Alexander said...

I love the lizard! Way cool!

MoonRae said...

Glad to see ya back

Lora Hart said...

Thanks Moon Rae and Janet. Nice to be back.

Unknown said...

fabulous eye candy, thank you for including me!