Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Stu, Stu, Studio!

My new shop is still a work in progress, but I wanted to share it's humble beginnings with you. My first off site work space is located in a wonderful old industrial building that has been re-imagined as an artists studio cooperative called Artworks in Richmond Virginia, about 4 miles from my apartment. And I've gotta say - the lack of cat hair, kitties wanting to be cuddled, mindless tv noise (always on for company), comfortable couch singing like a siren - makes it a very attractive place to go in the morning. Me likey!

'12 Studiolo by lorahart

Yesterday I chose to bring the computer so I could get some writing done. Blog posts for CornerStone, an article for MCAM, teaching proposals, etc. And as always I had Skype open while I was working, so Miss Vickie was able to find me. We generally talk every day for a half hour or so, but it was such a lovely surprise to talk to her in my studio.
I've had a hard time really getting started back in my metal clay habit. Too many distractions in the past few months, and as we parted,Vickie encouraged me to make just 'one little thing'. Perhaps a jump ring. ;)

I remembered that I needed 'something to torch fire' for a class demo on Saturday, so I pulled out the clay to make a couple of earring components, complete with slip printing. I thought it would take 5 minutes at the most. But I'm so out of tune, that the slip had to be removed and re applied about 5 times! So frustrating. It's like anything else in life. Use it or lose it. But luckily another truism also applies - just like riding a bicycle, work out the kinks, and sooner or later you'll be rolling right along.


I still have more writing to do today, but tomorrow Holly will be joining me here for a long distance play date (also on Skype) and I'm hoping that I'll be able to get right back on that horse and gallop my way back to creativity.

9 comments:

Lorena Angulo said...

Your studio is looking good my Lora!
I am very happy you have this wonderful space to create. ♥

Pat Evans said...

I understand the chaos that is moving and setting up a new studio. The good news is that once you get back on the bike, all that pent up creativity comes pouring out!

Zoe Nelson said...

Wow! Looking good, Lora. I can't wait to see what comes out of your new studio.

Angela Crispin said...

Oh, Lora! What a wonderful space you have and in such a cool location! I love how you have everything already pretty much organized and settled in, even if you say it's work in progress! Cause ... it always is, that means movement! CONGRATULATIONS!!

Vickie Hallmark said...

OMG! What a long way you have come since I was there helping you haul in IKEA boxes and tables. Looks ready to go!

And I love the new pieces. See, you just have to start. On anything. The heart of the artist WANTS to work, but gets scared after a long hiatus.

Janet Alexander said...

Oh Yeah, nice and big! You can get all the tools in it and more students! What a great place to be creating with other artists around!

birgitta kastenbaum said...

it looks great!
so happy your getting back on that horse, it's been patiently waiting for you :)
miss having you here.

Donna Penoyer said...

Yahoo! Great work! It's so good to see your tools in place and ready for you. They look happy to be there. : ) I am excited that you have embraced this awesome artists' building as your creative place. Go, Lora, go!

Michelle Loon said...

Congratulations on your new studio space! :)