Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Booth Me Baby!

The first morning of the show, I got to the Civic Center early so I could walk around and see all the naked booths. They were all sooo different. Some really elaborate, some really simple.





Keennon / Shaw Designs




Love the oriental rugs and flowers out front. Makes it look so inviting.




Any fabric used in a display must be treated with fire proofing. Too much muss and fuss for me.








I really like the simple booths the best I think. My current creative crush - Eric Silva - had the simplest of them all. Unfortunately I neglected to take a pic. It was just a door from Home Depot, with what I thought was white butcher paper covering it. He laid the jewelry pieces flat on it and wrote the price next to them in pencil. He made each piece stand out by slipping a piece of thin wood veneer underneath. Earrings were on a home made fixture. I'm thinking it might have been the round side of a bamboo steamer with a dowel fixed through the upper third. So inventive. So cost effective! 

Here's what I came up with. Saint Paige cobbled the high table together for me using 1x6 planks from HD and Ikea legs. The two scrolley iron side tables were nipped from my living room as was the screen which displays my photos. All the wood tablets are from Michael's and the lovely earring display is from Moxie Metal on Etsy.


Naked




Dressed 

I obviously have to get another light for the short table. And as much as I love the look of the metal side table supports, I think I'd like to raise them up to the level of the 6 foot table. Might have to get in touch with some old contacts to steal me a couple of apple boxes (movie industry term). All in all, I had a great time and will definitely be sending in my application for the November show later this week.


11 comments:

Kira said...

Lookin good! Thanks for posting all the booth pictures... inspiring and enlightening ideas.

Elaine from L.A. said...

Your booth looks fantastic and I'm glad the show went well for you!

LizardsJewelry said...

Laura your booth is looking good! Great photos I love looking at booth set ups, mines horrible, so all these are wonderful for ideas.

Liz Hall

Vickie Hallmark said...

Very interesting! Booth design is something I'm working on, so this was really helpful.

Zoe Nelson said...

Great post, Lora. I'm constantly re-arranging my booth and am always interested in new ideas. I never seem to be satisfied with the way it looks. This was enlightening!

Beth Hikes said...

This was such a cool post! Thanks for taking all the photos and sharing them. I love your booth design. It really speaks to me :)

Chocolate and Steel said...

oh man! I think your booth looks totally professional and really really beautiful. You guys did a great job.

Susan D said...

Your booth looked great! Also a good idea to take "naked" pictures of the other booths. Nice!!

sally said...

Lora- Your booth really does look wonderful. Nice and simple and sleek with that touch of swirly wrought iron to give it a decorative edge. Very nice and very professional. Loved seeing the other booths as well. Booth design is quite a challenge and needs a good balnce between "too much"- which, of course, is distracting, and "too little" which can be distracting, too! You did a good job balancing!

Anonymous said...

your booth is clean and elegant. i'm never happy with my set up so it was nice to see other's to get some ideas. thanks for sharing.

HappyDayArt! said...

I thought your booth was great and looks like you had a lot of nice jewelry there. What a ton of work though. I would be tired too. I'm glad it was worth going and that your friend was there to help while you were teaching. Good pics of other booths too.

Thanks for sharing,
Catherine