Thursday, June 25, 2009

Getting to know me..

I've been tagged, and amazingly I'm in the mood for a good tagging. I've been contacted before with lovely blog awards and other silly questionnaires and I just don't like these things, but I woke up in a mood and have been working on this for hours (seems like). Anyway.. Here's a look into my madness.

What is your current obsession?
Anything old, decrepit, peeling, rusty, weather worn...  I'm really looking at all kinds of textures at the moment. Plants, walls, earth, skin... I love it all.

What is your weirdest obsession?
I *have* to have dry, clean hands. So when I'm washing the dishes, preparing a meal of some kind (wash lettuce - wash hands; cut chicken - wash hands; toss salad with a fork and one hand - wash hands etc) or anything else with steps - I'm continually rinsing and drying my hands. Even if I get them dirty again within a minute. The first things to get dried after a shower are my hands too. Is that so wrong?


What are you wearing today?
Right now? Jammies from Lane Giant. Cute grey and black flowers on a field of cream and an off the shoulder black t shirt.

What would you eat for your last meal?
Ooh, 3 way tie. Yummy sushi of almost any kind, poached salmon with asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes or some sort of game steak from Saddlepeak Lodge. Mmmm!!!

What's the last thing you bought?
Probably Blue Potato Chips from Trader Joes! Oh, no - Coffee by the grassy knoll. (not Dallas)

What are you listening to right now?
Blessed silence.

What is your favorite ice-cream flavour?
Toss up between Ben And Jerry's Cherry Garcia and almost anything with chocolate. The chocolate hazelnut gelato from the new shop on Abbot Kinney is lovely!


What do you think of the person who tagged you?
Christine inspires me so much. She was a student, who became a friend and is doing so well making and selling her lovely jewelry. She's really found her niche.

If you could have a house totally paid for, fully furnished anywhere in the world, where would you like it to be?
Well, if anyone were to drop a house on my head I suppose I'd like it to be right here in Venice. There are some really wonderful craftsman's around here. If I were well off enough to get my own house, then I assume I'd also be well off enough to not have to worry about making a living. In which case I might move to Maine (love the coastline) or Scotland (love the green) or maybe Portland (love the weather). Not that I've been to any of those locations.

The Scottish Coast

If you could go anywhere in the world for the next hour, where would you go?
1/2 hour in Brittany and 1/2 hour in Melbourne. Not much time for tea in a half hour though. :* { Someone REALLY needs to invent a transporter. Stat!

What is your favorite colour?
Oh, green. Definitely green. Pea soup green to be exact. Or maybe chartreuse. Or perhaps pale, pale  dusty aqua. But I'm thinking of doing my bedroom red!

Which language do you want to learn?
French. I took it twice in high school and it never stuck. Although I can still recite an entire 'conversation' verbatim (Tu connais Michele?). And I still have the textbook, covered in the dust jacket to my Mother's "La Rousse Gastronomique" cook book. Got in big trouble for that one.

What is your favorite piece of clothing in your own wardrobe?
I just got a lovely designer t-shirt at the Contemporary Crafts Market last month by Jane Mohr of Dress To Kill. I'd like to have an entire wardrobe of her pieces. Lottery? Anyone?

See that white shirt sticking out of the jacket? Mine's like that only slate blue with a floral twining vine design. Love the trailing sides.

What's your favourite magazine?
I found something called "Big Style - 100 decorating ideas for small rooms" a million years ago at the grocery store and have never seen it since. Shame. I also love American Craft.

Favorite Blog?
At the moment I'm obsessed with The Paris Apartment. I want to move into it's "pages".

Favorite genre of book?
Definitely historical novels. More of my "fly on the wall" fantasy. I don't REALLY want to go back in time though. Need my modern conveniences if you get my drift.

If you had $100 now, what would you spend it on?
Either a down payment on a new printer that does beautiful photgraphs or disk cutters.

Favorite artist/s?
Just discovered Kathleen McCloud last night while doing a search for floating world. I wanna go to Santa Fe to see her work in person I love it so much. This would look fabulous over my couch.

Origin of Bees via Santa Fe Poetry

What's your favorite season and why?
For a native Los Angelean it's amazing how much I do *not* like the heat! So winter is my favorite season. I crave thunder storms and wind and overcast days. I spent a week in Boston during a blizzard once and had the best time!

Describe your personal style?
Comfy. Sleek. Unfussy. Leaning towards classic. But I wanna start verging towards artsy and overblown. I wanna be an eccentric old lady.

What are you going to do after this?
Have breakfast and do the damn dishes!

What are your favourite movies?
West Side Story for the wonderful Bernstein music and Jerrome Robbins choreography (sorry Sondheim lovers - the lyrics are totally beside the point with me) and Lion In Winter. Kate Hepburn never looked so good (love her hair down). The perfect dysfunctional family story. This is my favorite scene. (...but you'd shock the children)


What's your favourite fruit?
I love watermelon, Fuji apples, Kiwi and Blackberries. 

What inspires you?
Like Christine - other peoples enthusiasm. And unexpected discoveries.

What music do you like this week?
I've blogged about her before, but I'm still liking fado singer Mariza. And I was recently reminded that I can download Podcasts of Morning Becomes Eclectic which is great alternative music. Unfortunately I don't know any of the younger set's popular favorites, so NPR is a great way to stay current.




What is your dream job?
I think I have my dream job. ;-)

What are you working on right now?
Nothing. I'm blocked. : {

What is stopping you?
The only thing that ever stops me is my own dysfunctional brain. 

If you could change something in the world to make it a better place what would that be?
Again, I think Christine got it right. Tolerance. People need to learn how *not* to sweat the small stuff. Choose your battles people. 

What do you have planned for tomorrow?
No Plans. Take it as it comes.

The rules :
1. Respond and rework; answer the question on your blog, replace one question that you dislike with a question of your invention, add one more question of your own.
2. Tag eight other people.

I'm Tagging:

6 comments:

HappyDayArt! said...

Lora,

I hear you laughing over there. This is a long one! Ouch!

Catherine

Cathy Cullis said...

hello Lora, well firstly good to find your blog and will link up... and thanks for tagging me... I will get to it and answers the q's tomorrow x

Vickie Hallmark said...

Love the clothes!! If I only had more hours in the day! I remember when I used to make everything I wore, rather than jeans and tees. Eccentric, yes, I already am, but I want to be more so!

Ruth said...

Thanks for the tag! Cherry Garcia - yum. I created my own version - Cherry Baillie - I'll have to make it for you sometime.... Good to learn more about you.

Lorena Angulo said...

Hola Lora ;-}
Love to read more about you, we share the same weird obsession!

Love and take care!

Jess LC said...

I'm the same way about dry, clean hands! I am constantly washing as well. I also like to brush my teeth after each meal when I can. I don't like the smell of my last meal lingering.