Friday, June 19, 2009

Welcome To The Carnival!


Step right this way... Each month a group of jewelry artists use their blogs to get together online and answer the same question - each in their own way. The topic this month is:

Who or what is your most influential historical metalsmith or metalsmithing tradition?

Well, I hardly think that anyone who has ever viewed my work can miss the fact that I'm highly influenced by ancient cultures and traditions. I love history. The romantic side of history at least (the political bits I can do without). I love the clothes and the furniture and the architecture and would love to be a fly on the wall if "they" ever invent a time travel machine. I've been known to watch a "Secrets of the Dead" marathon on PBS because I'm just fascinated by the lives of the subjects.  I'm sort of a cross between an anthropologist, archaeologist and psychologist wanna be.


About 15 years ago I began to design my own gothic alphabet and started a pillow business using Illuminated Manuscript art that I hand painted onto gessoed linen. I actually sold three of them! Not everyone was as enraptured as I was evidently. 

So it was no big surprise when I started making jewelry that I used themes from the past. In my quest to simplify my life, I've also been trying to simplify my decor and jewelry style. But I'm failing miserably. The walls in my house could compete with any Victorian parlor and I can't help adding "just one more little detail" to my designs. Oh well. Learning to be happy with one's foible's is the secret of a successful life isn't it?!

Be sure to visit the other Carney's to see what makes them tick.

6 comments:

Beth Hikes said...

I love finding this tidbit out about you! Too cool creating your own gothic alphabet :)

Vickie Hallmark said...

Ah, it's the gothic alphabet touch I keep detecting in some of your fancy work! Funny how none of the things we've done were for nought.

Nicola said...

I love these Blog carnivals and find the topics so inspiring. I adore the inspiration you find in text and enjoy visiting all the other artists soooo much!

This months topic was so exciting for me I had to join in too (on my MuranoSilver blog) and have written all about the Taxco silver artisans that inspire me!

Keep these up Lora thay're brilliant :)
Nicola xx

Chocolate and Steel said...

Would love to see more of the alphabet and/or pillow. How interesting!

dona dicarlo said...

WOW that is interesting you are a mysterious woman.. Do you have a "D"?
dona

Ruth said...

My dad has done lots of illuminating lettering. He really enjoys it. Great to see your too and see how it inspires other things.