Monday, June 1, 2009

Thoughts on an Exhibition

Well, these past couple of weeks have been an eye opening experience. I thought I thrived on pressure. That it was a feeling that helped me get things done. For instance how I never seem to send submissions until right before they're due. But I've learned that I absolutely *hate* creating on a deadline!

Making something simple like these earrings or the Folio pieces that I add resin decoration to are fine. Those are pretty cut and dried. Not much concentration needed. But finding images and "found objects" for the Altars and Folios on demand? - YUK!

Now if I had a huge stock of lovely ephemera and interesting bits of flotsam and jetsom - it might be a different story. But since that's not the case - I'm taking a cue from Miss Doris Day while prepping for my show this weekend. Que Sera, Sera! What will be, will be. I have enough to make a nice, full display and a few pieces to hold back for when something sells. Not as much as some vendors will be bringing, I'm sure. But I have so many more un assembled components in my stash, that I'll have no problem getting ready for the next show (if I decide to do one).

Now I'm moving on to the business side of things. Taking pictures of everything to make into a thumbnail contact sheet with prices so that when someone else is manning the booth as I take a little break, they'll know what to charge if tag gets lost. Ordering three big photos to put on a screen that I'm bringing as a prop. Buying tissue paper and bags. Seeing if I have enough charge slips. All the boring necessities. I do hope to see some of you lovely Los Angeleans in the audience at the show. You can download a "get in free" ticket here.

8 comments:

Kira said...

Ugh, I know what you mean about those boring necessities. Have a traveling shop is definitely harder than it appears.

The good news is your little bits and pieces look lovely! Keep working, you'll get em where you want em to be.

Kira said...

That comment might've sounded totally random, I realize. I just started following your blog. :)

Anonymous said...

I always stress out too. No matter how many times I tell myself to get ready in advance, I always end up getting ready a couple of nights before. ugh!

Lora Hart said...

Thanks you two. Glad to know it's not just me! If you have any specific tips - share please?

Susan D said...

You'll do JUST FINE! I think sometimes it's helpful to challenge yourself on your feelings.... Is it excitement? Or anxiety? Nerves or fear? Excitement and a bit of anxiousness is ok!

But I'm with you. I don't like being "creative" under pressure. And I have YET to get EVERYTHING I'd hoped done prior to a show. Basically, I think you're just normal! :-)

Ruth said...

Busy, busy, busy. Hope it goes well and that you aren't too tired to enjoy it!

beachvintage.com said...

You are very talented. Lovely stuff. Thanks for stopping by Beach Vintage and leaving a comment. xx

Janice said...

My last submission I was literally working on the day it was due. Got the necessary paperwork together, got it packaged and brought it to UPS at 6:00 p.m. They closed at 5:00 p.m.!!! That was a tough lesson!

Good luck with your show - your work is gorgeous!