Monday, October 6, 2008

I'm Going Back To The Future

Thanks to everyone who left comments and shared their ideas of which project I should start with for my foray into the Master's Registry. I've chosen to begin with what they're calling the Stencil Process. I call it Slip Printing and used the technique in a bronze piece I experimented with recently.


The challenging part of this project for the Registry is that I have to make my own template. There are lots of great stencils in the market place, most designed to be used with paint -  I found some great ones by Donna Dewberry.  But making my own will entail using a jeweler's saw to pierce a unique design in thin brass or copper sheet.

The Registry requires participants to complete 10 projects before sending them in for judging. The artist can take all the time they want to assemble the set they're working on, and there are no rules regarding an order in which to begin. 

With 50 separate projects divided into 5 credentialed levels, I also decided that I wanted each collection to have a cohesive look, so I'm going to base my first ten designs on images inspired by the art, architecture and gardens of the Getty Villa museum in Malibu (properly the Pacific Palisades), California.  


I'm really excited about this notion.  I get to stay within my comfort zone of ancient, historical design themes - while at the same time being inspired by my research and the resulting interpretation of the amazing 2000+ year old artifacts.  I have some books in my collection published by the Getty, but since I'm so very lucky to have the Villa in my own backyard, I'm going to make an appointment (parking is ridiculous) and visit it in person as soon as I'm able. With a camera and sketch pad in tow of course.

If there's anyone in the area who'd like to join me, I'd love the company.  The Villa is a wonderful artwork in and of itself.  The museum building re creates an actual villa located in Herculaneum called Villa of the Papyri.  The gardens are planted with flora and decorated with statuesque fauna that would have been natural to the ancient city. And there's a lovely, peaceful restaurant/cafeteria that overlooks the grounds and classical outdoor theater. I'm sure I'll be making many trips to complete my research. It's going to be a glorious fall.

3 comments:

Divine Mystic said...

I would love to join you at the Getty! What a wonderful undertaking! Gayle Powell

kait said...

I don't really know much about the Master's Registry, but this sounds like a great series of projects to focus and channel new experiments. I look forward to following along as you work on them!

The Dreaming Princess said...

Sensei I wanna come too!