Friday, November 21, 2008

Welcome to the Carnival!

The Queen of the Carnivale by A Fanciful Twist

Step right this way... Each month a group of jewelry artists use their blogs to get together online and answer the same question - each in their own way.  The topic this month is:

Gratitude - pure and simple

It's Thanksgiving in America and a time for reflection, taking a moment to turn inward and reach into your heart, to look beyond your own ego and reach out to your fellow man (no feminism here thank you), to eat mass quantities of delicious food with family and friends - to be grateful for our gifts.  

I've been thinking about how I've been doing every thing I can to focus on the half full glass for a while now.  I even wrote a post about Thanks Giving last month. And I don't have much to add to the inspiration behind that post.

I'm grateful for this blog and the window that it opened in my life.  Grateful for new friends, grateful for old ones grown closer. Grateful for inspiration. Grateful for exploration.  Grateful for new works and new paths to wander down.

I'm beginning to think that this is too narrow a reflection, after all this is a jewelry blog and should be a jewelry related post - but gratitude is all encompassing and comes full circle. 

As far as jewelry is concerned I am so grateful that I'm able to make my living doing something that I love. Teach.  Who'd a thunk it!  Ten years ago I never would have imagined myself doing what I do.  And now I can't imagine myself doing anything else.  I know she probably won't ever see this, but I have to thank Elaine Bastajian  for encouraging me to pursue teaching in the first place. This is the best job I've ever had. And I'm so grateful to have the opportunities that I do, to have the wonderful students that I do, to have the respect of my peers that I do, to have the support of my friends that I do.

Most of all I'm grateful to live in circumstances that allow the reflection, that encourage me to acknowledge the good things in my life.  And I'm grateful for your enjoyment of my blog, my silly thoughts, my smart aleck word play. 

Happy Thanksgiving - whether this is a national holiday for you, or an opportunistic nudge to indulge in some peaceful reflection.

Be sure to visit the other Carny's to read their thoughts about gratitude.


4 comments:

Angela Crispin said...

My friend !

Your post last month was perfect and this completes it wonderfully! Isn't it wonderful to be able to what we love the most ?!
Angela

PS: I'm so glad you recognized yourself in my post ! ;o)

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL post--this one and the previous "Thanks Giving" one. I'm so happy that you're happy--I can feel it in your writing.

Absolutely LOVE this post.

Elaine from L.A. said...

Thank you, Lora :~)

Anonymous said...

Great post Lora! I wanted to tell you how grateful I am to have met you. You have been such a good friend and support. You are an incredible leader. Selflessly promoting teams of people, which benefits everyone tremendously but zaps your time.

I for one am glad that you found jewelry as your path to expression. You found your place as a senior teacher this year and that's fantastic. All good things! Here's to an even more amazing 2009.

I hope you have an amazing holiday season filled with lots of joy, love, happiness and prosperity.