Monday, January 25, 2010

It Seems I've Fallen...

And I'm having a hard time getting up. I'm sure it hasn't escaped your notice that I've been intermittently absent from regular postings on my blog. I read somewhere that if that happens (and it has happened to many of the other blogs I read) that you're not supposed to apologize or even mention it. Just go on from where ever you are. I am sorry though. Not just for you, my loyal readers - but for myself as well. I love this blog and how it has enriched my life.

I'm stuck. Here. In my jewelry making. In my day to day tasks. Oh - I have ideas! My brain is brimming with them. I think about designs all the time. Entire lines of designs. I think about how I can re arrange the Studiolo to make it more user friendly. I think about doing my sales taxes. Or about vacuuming the floor. I think about cutting my hair. I think about fascinating blog posts. But that's about as far as it gets.

All the ideas are trapped in my grey matter. I think to myself "Self? Just let it alone. You'll spring into action any day now!" But I don't. I'm immersed in ennui. Frozen to the floor. Set in my layabout ways. And Nike doesn't seem to be coming to my rescue. "Just Do It" just doesn't.

What to do? I'm really proud of my ol' tired self that I've managed to create a ring a day since January 1st. No matter how simplistic or just plain silly. And some of them have been really cool. I love the enamel class I've started taking. And the fact that the early morning hour long commute to get there hasn't held me back. Even on a stormy day.

Don't worry. I'm giving myself a break. I'm trying not to be too hard on myself. Its a phase. But it's also a house guest who has worn out it's welcome! So perhaps purging my procrastination proclivities in this post will propel me out of paralysis and into productivity! (how's that for alliteration?) I'd appreciate perceiving any positive posings or posturings that have stood you in good stead in the past.

6 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

I am a proponent of Blogging Without Obligation. If you aren't doing it because it brings you joy then why do it (wish I could translate that into other areas of my life). I feel as though my to do lists are about to bury me under a pile of check boxes and stickie notes. But I would keep moving forward. Focus on that which you love. Focus on what you are doing that is walking forward, like making a ring a day. How very cool is that?!? Because what you focus on expands. You'll come around. And even if you never blog again, that is okay too. Do what you love. I think that is the key (now if I could only follow my own advice!)
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Cathy said...

And I was just wondering to myself how you did it all... it's no wonder you need a break! So give yourself one. Allow your ring-a-day project and enameling to be enough for right now. Try not to see what's happening as negative... something new is probably percolating in that (very creative) grey matter this very minute. My experience has been that we need a little down time now and again - to process everything... and often when we allow (and even embrace) that, really cool things will happen. Try to trust the process.

Meanwhile, we'll be happy to see you through it if you decide to blog and if you don't, it's ok too. You're just in the chrysalis phase... relax and the butterfly will emerge eventually.

Zoe Nelson said...

My prophecy is that patience and perserverence will push you out of your paralysis.

Anonymous said...

I'm in a bit of funk too! There is so much going on. I think I'll follow Erin's advice and do the things I love first. Sometimes we put others first and it's ok to take some time for ourselves.
Go ahead and give yourself a break, all will come together when the timing is right.

Alicia said...

Perhaps out creative juices and the muses make us take breaks about which we feel guilty. Maybe most of us go through that (apparently) non creative stage. I know I have been there and am there right now. I also know that once the muses return, there is no stopping them. It will happen. . . let it happen. In the meantime, enjoy your other activities.

Susan Dilger said...

There's a lot of "that" going around. All I seem to do lately is knit! I "know" this place though, and I will be back!!!

And don't worry about the infrequent blogging. "We" know where you are!