Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words!

That's It!!! I'm getting a small camera that I can keep in my purse at all times. Last night was the final meeting of my Wednesday night class at Otis and every single student made a little masterpiece! Even the very simple box pendants were lovely. They all did such a wonderful job choosing, preparing, fitting and completing the resin inlay and I'm so proud of them.


They made the boxes last week and had to finish them at home because we ran out of time in our little 3 hour class. Then this week we fired as soon as class began, polished, patinated and tumbled them prior to adding our custom "jewels". That's a lot to accomplish in three hours.


I really wish I could show you their work, but this is the one I used for my demo. I'm so pleased with the way it turned out.  I used laser cut paper, a piece of golden mica and tiny glass "granulation" beads. This will probably go into my shop sometime next week. I called it Chichester because the fretwork reminds me of the beautiful stone tracery that covers the windows at the English cathedral, and also because the Chichester Psalms by Leonard Bernstein is one of my favorite pieces of music. I'm tempted to keep it, but I can't keep everything I fall in love with can I? 

8 comments:

Vickie Hallmark said...

Beautiful!

Questions: Are the little silver balls embedded in the silver, or are they rivets? If they're embedded, how'd you get them to stay in place so perfectly??

Lora Hart said...

Hey Vikie!

Thanks! The silver balls on the silver portion are metal clay. I roll out two cards thick and use a cocktail straw to cut little circles. Put a wet paper towel over the circles so they stay hydrated, then pick one up at a time and roll it into a little ball.

I let them dry, then when I want to use a few - there they are. I pick one up with a tweezer, sand a flat spot on the bottom and use thick slip to attach it to the clay. Et Voila.

Comprenez vous?

Vickie Hallmark said...

Oops, I keep having these slips of the tongue (fingers this time). I meant to say "embedded in the resin," meaning the tiny balls in the center area over the paper.

Lora Hart said...

Ah, if you read my post carefully, you'll see mention of glass "granulation" beads. The kind you get at Michael's in a variety of colors. These are gold even though they look silver. I might actually invest in some real gold granules.

I did the resin in two layers. First put the mica down, then the paper, then a layer of resin and cured it. Then a thin layer of resin, dropped the balls in using a tweezer and re cured. It's UV resin if that's another question.

Angela Crispin said...

Absolutely beautiful, Lora ! I would never have though to use the laser-cut paper ! It looks wonderful and so elegant, as usual !
o:-)

Anonymous said...

EXQUISITE!!!!

Anonymous said...

Your piece is stunning. I bet it was fun to see what your students learned.

Ruth said...

Just love it Lora. And no surprise that your students' work was great too when they had that as inspiration! And what a lot of techniques they go to try too!