Friday, April 17, 2009

Welcome to the Carnival...

Spring Circus (sold) by Cathy Cullis

Step right this way... Each month a group of jewelry artists use their blogs to get together online and answer the same question - each in their own way. This month the topic is: 

What is your favorite technique? 

Well, if we're talking about metal clay - I love construction and joinery - making boxes, making my hollow rings. I love fussing. It's actually very hard for me to do "simple". I always want to embellish, sand to perfection. I look at The Bower and want to add granulation balls. I want to put a raised frame around it. And it's funny, because when I look at other peoples art or home furnishings... I like the simple, uncluttered look. But my own home is bordering on Victorian excess. And let's face it - my jewelry could stand a wee bit of the paring down.

On to metal smithing - I do love me some rivets. And conquering solder joins. But does that fall into the fussing portion of my brain again?

So let's just say that I love putting it together; piece by piece; making the connections; adding the details... (a great song that should be the anthem of all jewelry makers). I'm an embellisher at heart. Deal with it! ;-)

Check out what the other carny's love to do:

5 comments:

Tamra said...

Paring down? You've got to be kidding. I think your jewelry is very much recognizable because of all of the little "extra" touches you add to it.

Cool post, as usual! ;-]

Karen Gill said...

It would be sooooo sad if you did the "paring down"!!!

I love dealing with your embellishments!

WearableByDesign said...

I just referred a fellow artist to look at your work because of your unique take on things. I find your work very inspiring -- not overly fussy, just thoughtful!

Nicola said...

Your "flow" is so inspirational and I love your layers of detail. They're so exciting :)

Ruth said...

I love that fixing stage too - doing the spring or the latch and making it come alive! And now you've made me think about rivets again. I've done a few and loved them - great for movement...I need to do more! Look forward to hearing the song....