Friday, July 11, 2008

The Carnival's Back in Town

Image via DandyTree

Step right this way... Each month a group of jewelry artists use their blogs to get together online and answer the same question - each in their own way.  This month's query is:

What is your favorite manual tool?

The list is long, the choices many.   I don't think I've met a hand tool I didn't like.  I love to collect them and put them on the wall to admire.  There's an old tool sale in my neighborhood once a month where they sell all kinds of wonderful things.  Old adze's, the most wonderful hammers, altered files and bits of architectural details.  It takes all my inner strength not to empty my checking account each time I go.

That said, my favorite manual tool has remained the same for years.  At least for use with metal clay.  I loooove a good toothpick!  I sand with it, drill holes, place patina in difficult or delicate areas - even use one to burnish a bit.  I use a round, wooden toothpick almost as much as I use my synthetic hair #3 watercolor brush, which I simply could not stand to be without. Very low tech.

I'm really interested to see what the other carney's have to say though.  I bet they've discovered a wonderful tool that I'll have to run right out to acquire.  After I get back from the conference at Purdue of course.  I'll be taking the next week off from blogging and will return Monday the 21st.  Be well and leave lots of comments to let me know what you've all been up to.

If you'd like to see what the other carney's have to say, check them out:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooooo! I keep toothpicks handy too. It's amazing what tools you can find around the house!

Lora Hart said...

What does a metalsmith use toothpicks for? Doesn't the hammer pulverize 'em?