Friday, July 25, 2008

Weekend Eye Candy


Brooch by Iris Aglom via Klimt02

I just looove jewelry makers.  Whatever their process, favorite materials or style.  There's always something that sparks my imagination.  My tastes run more towards art/studio jewelry, but I even get ideas from what Maggie Bergman from Australia calls red, white and blue jewelry. Rubies, Diamonds and Sapphires.  In other words traditional gold or platinum wedding ring/Oscar worthy type designs. 

I don't look at other artists work to copy or emulate their style.  I want to absorb their construction, found materials choices, clasps, connections and shapes.  And I try not to do a sketch of an entire piece, just the bit I want to remember.  Then I put it away and let it percolate.  The next time I sit down at my bench those elements have migrated into my own aesthetic and I can feel free to use them - knowing I'm not copying, but just using them as a jumping off place.

"Fruit 2008" by Myung Urso via Klimt02

Navigating around Klimt02 is kind of like finding your way through a renaissance hedge maze. There are beautiful examples at every twist and turn, but be careful you don't get lost in the carefully manicured forest.  Some of the work I really resonate with, some leaves me wondering why bother?  But if I look closely enough, there's always something there that I hadn't imagined before and it makes me think. 

From the Stained Cell Series via Vena Rust

18kt. is much more eyes straight forward.  A long restful walk through a hall of wonders.  In her wonderful blog, Marta Sanchez shows multiple images of each artist's work. I love how some of them have taken one simple element or theme and expanded on it to create an entire line of unique jewelry.

Take a tour this weekend and start a visual journal of work that inspires you, sketch out the bits and pieces.  Then go out into a lovely day and play.  When you come back I bet you have an idea or two just bursting to be realized.

Ring by Senay Akin via 18kt 

3 comments:

masaoms said...

Wow, really beautiful text, i'm really honored to be part of it! Thank you very much!!
Have a nice weekend!
Marta.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow some serious eye candy here!! I must check out those websites you mention. I love the way you descibe the process of inspiration, separation and then 'making it your own' - such an important process to go through.

Thank you so much for your comments on my unfortunate incident!! I am feeling so much better know - just badly bruised, I think it was my pride that came out the worst!!

Have a great week/end!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this post!

Aaaaahhhhh...I aspire to be able to do work like this one day. Love this stuff!