Friday, March 20, 2009

Welcome to the Carnival!

The Carnivalist by Galerie De Illuminata
 
Step right his way... Each month a group of jewelry artists use their blogs to get together online and answer the same question - each in their own way.  The topic this month is:

What was your biggest mistake or worst workbench disaster?

I'm not sure I've had any disasters.  I've had a lot of unfinished and less than stellar work sitting on my desk to be sure. Some of it for years. Work I've started and then become uninspired by. Work I've abandoned because I wasn't sure I could make anything worth making from it. And work I've just flat out been too lazy to conquer. But disasters? Ummm... I don't think so.

Unless we're talking about the state of my bench itself.  Now THAT can be a disaster.  At least once a week I want to just gather up all of the flotsam and jetsam that accumulates and toss it in the circular file.

Maybe my biggest mistake is allowing myself to give in to ennui. To wallow in the jewelry doldrums. I thought I had discovered an answer when I discovered the principal of Kaizen, but that boost of creative energy only lasted for a couple of weeks. I'll have to look at all my little orphans again. Show them some love and make them proud to be in existence. Prove to myself that there *are* no disasters.  Only unforeseen opportunities.

Be sure to check out the blogs of the other Carneys to see what they have to say:

No comments: