Wednesday, May 28, 2008

What's New?

Such a great song.  Does anyone besides me remember the Linda Ronstadt version? What a thrill it must have been to perform with a band of that caliber.  My one remaining singing fantasy.


I came across some really interesting silk cocoons from Larkspur Funny Farm and had to order some "just because". I had no idea what I'd do with them, but they were just so intriguing, I needed to own them.


I've been doing a bit of riveting and decided to try one of the little beauties in a design I created for "Window on the World", a class I taught recently with Michelle Ross combining metal clay with polymer clay image transfers.


I layered a natural colored Indonesian silk cocoon skin over some olive green felt my friend Jacqui sent me from Asheville and captured both between two pieces of metal clay, one with a scroll shaped cut out, the other solid.  I used gold filled wire for the rivets and the pearl dangle, and soldered a scatter pin finding on the back (not necessarily in that order).


I'm really happy with the way it turned out.  I've used felt a couple of times before and now I'm convinced that fiber's a wonderful accent for my work. 

5 comments:

Kirsten said...

So how big are those silk cocoons? They really are intriguing.

Lora Hart said...

Smallish. The dyed oblong, full cocoons are about 1.5 inches long and size 9.5 using one of those zip tie type ring sizers. You can get those un-dyed too. The Indonesian guys are flat and about 1.5 inches in diameter and the long, flat rods (also available un dyed) are 4.5x1.5 if you un crinkle them.

The full cocoons are next on my design schedule. Bezel set into a ring.

kait said...

Very fun! Definitely an idea worth playing around with!

Angela Crispin said...

Very cool combination ! And those cocoons look sooo tempting ! The colors are beautiful. Can't wait to see what you'll do with them.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to the cocoons...very cool! I had to order some. Your jewelry is beautiful!