Friday, June 6, 2008

Weekend Eye Candy

Santa Monica Civic Auditorium

This weekend the Contemporary Crafts Market comes to the Santa Monica Civic in Los Angeles.  I was due to have a booth in this show.  My first big show in 5 years!  But then I had to go and trip, which changed many of my plans.  I cancelled my participation three months ago, when the accident first happened and was always worried that by the time of the show, I'd have felt 100% better and would have been able to do it after all.

I'm happy to report that I am indeed walking, driving and doing my own grocery shopping, but even happier to report that I'm not up to standing in a booth all day for three days in a row, so I made the right decision.  I do have a few friends who are doing it though and I'm definitely going to support them.

Ruffled Vase

Mickey Steuwe is a member of our local PMC Guild and sells a bit of metal clay jewelry, but has really gotten into fusing glass and loves working on large boxes, vases and plates.  

The Angel Within

I like to claim Stephanie Frymeyer as a student of mine, but she only took two classes and went off on a tangent, developing her own style and making the most beautiful pieces.  

Unmentionables Necklace

I met Ling-Yen at the show many years ago and we've become friendly if not honest to goodness friends.  She lives in Northern California where she makes her lovely fabricated and pierced "Unmentionables". 

Untitled

Of course I have to visit Sandy Kreyer.  I buy one of her lovely dishes or other ceramic work every time I see her.  She only sells retail at shows, so I have to hunt her out.

Miriam's Cup

Ruth Shapiro is one the working "students" in my fabrication class.  She has a wide range of styles and techniques, but I really like her Judaica.

And other participants include the totally phenomenal enamelist Marianne Hunter; clothing designer Claudia Grau; furniture maker Roger Combs; wire sculptor Diane Komater and woodworker Jerry Kermode among many talented others. 

Why don't you take yourself on an Artist's Date this weekend and go to a gallery, boutique, library, museum or craft show in your community and soak in some inspiration too?

Oh, and if you live in L.A., click here and then on one of the photos to download a "get in free" ticket!

No comments: