Friday, August 14, 2009

Weekend Eye Candy - Dee Wilder Edition


Hello, My name is Lora Hart and I'm a craft snob. I've never been a fan of polymer clay, unless we're talking makers in the upper stratospheres like Kathleen Dustin or Ford Forlano. I think it looks too "crafty". And I say that with a derogatory sneer.

My friend Michelle Ross started to change my mind a few years ago with her beautiful work. And maybe those seeds have opened my eyes to the point that I am now beginning to notice artists who are taking the medium to a new and better (IMHO) level.

Dee Wilder, known as Malodora, is one of those artists. I love her precision. Her attention to detail. Her inspiration. Dee is interested in the natural world and actually has her own "beetle factory" that she keeps to denude found skeletons of small mammals and birds. See those bird skulls in the third picture? Dee made them. And I own some. They're fabulous. See the trilobites and the antler bracelet? The realism is amazing. I dream of owning one of those!

Now she's hand rolling impossibly thin threads to construct micro mosaics and lathe turing beads. Even her canes are perfectly executed. And those metal clay bead caps? They were her first try with the great grey goop!!! I'm inspired by her mindfulness and will strive to incorporate more of that attribute into my own work.

10 comments:

Malodora said...

Lora!! I was waiting to see your Friday mosaic and was Shocked to see one of my pieces. Then I realized they were ALL my pieces. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I am so honored!!

MAKUstudio said...

Love Dee's work! Just stunning!

Carol Dean Sharpe said...

Dee is definitely one of the most talented and innovative polymer clay artists working right now, at least that I know of. I'm fortunate to have several of her gorgeous creations, some for my personal wear, others for future use in Sand Fibers creations. Love them and the artist that created them.

Janice said...

I love all of Dee's work - especially her micromosaics. Her work is never static and always surprising. How does she do that??? What a weekend treat!

Chocolate and Steel said...

you're right! very innovative.

Unknown said...

I love all of Dee's gorgeous pieces... but those micromosaics are to die for!!! truly amazing!!!

SarahKelley said...

I'm also a fan-- the inspiration she draws from the natural world rocks her work!

Smadar's Treasure said...

I'm a big fan of Dee's work! The cuff on the top left corner is just gorgeous!

Melody Marie Murray said...

What a lovely feature! I adore Dee's work.

Georgia Morgan said...

I don't know anyone whose work is so organic and so perfect at the same time