Friday, August 21, 2009

Welcome to the Carnival...

Image via Leal and Eve

Step right this way... Each month a group of jewelry artists use their blogs to get together online and answer the same question - each in their own way. The topic this month is:

How do you find inspiration going from the design to the finished piece

Inspiration... Well we all know I'm inspired by historically based themes. Textures, erosion, histories. That aesthetic is something I've lived with forever, for as long as I can remember anyway. But inspiration of jewelry design? That's actually something that I struggle with. 

I'm a teacher. I make things as samples for a class I want to teach and then incorporate a bit of my aesthetic into it. Making a finished piece of jewelry out of those components is always an afterthought. But I'm not happy with that way of working. Although everyone I know thinks I have a look, a style that's immediately recognizable - I don't. And I'm searching for ways to take things that I *do* find interesting or inspiring and creating a design based on that exact idea or object.

That's why I'm exploring words and how those verbal images might excite visuals that I can translate into metal. I'm  fascinated by Vickie Hallmark's way of carrying a pad with watercolor pencils with her everywhere she goes. And my friend Maggie Bergman's habit of scanning pictures into the computer and using Photoshop filter tools to alter the image over and over and over until she develops something she feels like making into a 3 dimensional object. 

I've just barely started journaling in conjunction with the Master's Registry projects. Using tear sheets, quick sketches and brief descriptions/definitions of the projects to jump start my creative juices. I'm thinking of the MR as a means to an end. The path to my being able to create what I think of as a signature look. I'm hoping that by the end of the first 10, I'll be well on my way.

So my current inspiration from design to creation is pretty hap hazzard.  I wish my mind was teaming with designs pushing to get out like Angela's is. She's such a creative girl. But my path is different. My creative efforts require a bit more toil and intention. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Be sure to visit the other Carney's to see how their boats float:

3 comments:

Angela Crispin said...

Oh Lora, isn't it amazing how we each struggle with different things ? I'm not sure you'd want my head, it's often like an overstuffed closet whose door I have to push closed while I dealing with the concrete world, classes, emails, phone calls, etc. Very frustrating at times and doesn't help my sleep.

And then, unlike you, when it comes to a class project and that I actually have to think out what someone else would like to experience in a class, well, my brain goes through this sudden "fishbowl with no fish" phenomenon :o)

Oh, if we could only swap each other's brain when we need it !
Congratulations on taking the MR jump, can't wait to see what you'll come up with.
o:-)

Vickie Hallmark said...

Well, you may think I have my path all figured out, but it's still a work in progress. I have the same frustrations with my design process that you mentioned. I, too, am trying to shift my course a bit.

FWIW, the sketchbook and watercolors are something I've really only stumbled onto this year. I used to do it sporadically, but now I'm more consciously turning to it.

I think the real nugget there is to work consciously, mindfully. To push whatever creative method you use to its limit, to explore whatever little urge beckons to its complete expression instead of getting distracted.

Your method is working for you, because everyone does recognize and admire your style. I can't wait to see what you produce when you are happier with the process.

Kathy said...

Lora-
it's been my experience that we can't see our own style. Personal style is what others see in your work. You just do the work- and it will express itself.
love the carnival blogs!! thanks a bunch!!