Monday, April 28, 2008

Avoi-Dancing With a Star!

I've hit a wall.  Maybe it's because I'm going back to work on Saturday (yea!) and feel unsettled and rusty. Maybe it's because I've just spent too long alone in my apartment and the lack of stimulation has really gotten to me.  The upshot of it, whatever the cause, is that I not only don't want to open a package of clay and play with it, but I also wasn't too interested in my blog (or anyone else's) this weekend.  I can't think of anything to write about.  Can't think of anything I want to make.  And my usual busy tasks are just too dull to bother with.  I can usually get myself started by making bails or jump rings, granulation balls, re-hydrating dry clay... anything to make my fingers touch metal clay.  It's all out on my desk, but I keep thinking of other things to do.  I'm the winner of the avoi-dance. 

You'll remember that last weekend I was happy to do some finishing, firing, soldering, pearl setting.  I was very happy and excited about my work.  This weekend... nothing!  I have a play date tomorrow with friends, at a house I haven't been to in over two months, and I'm doing nothing to prepare.  Paige is going to share her wisdom in the vitreous enamel field.  Michelle has spent all weekend designing, making and finishing her piece so it's ready to go.  Me?  Not so much.  I do think it'll be a big boost just to get the heck outa Dodge, and I'll enjoy the time with the girls, but I'm not all that interested in making anything specifically for this project.  I'll just bring something I have hanging around.

So, what do you do when you're stuck?  If you have any tricks, exercises or advice for me, I'd really appreciate it.  I think my students will appreciate it too.

No comments: