Thursday, April 24, 2008

Welcome to the Carnival!

Step right this way...  Each month a group of jewelry artists use their blogs to get together online and answer the same question - each in their own way.  This month's participants are :
Come Friday be sure to click on their names to view six other very erudite answers to the burning question:

If you suddenly became wealthy and didn't have to sell your jewelry anymore for income, would you still sell it?  Would you still make it? Why?
It's actually a kind of tricky question for me.  I've always been creative in some way and have always kind of fallen into a new profession at key points in my life.  I sang in choirs in jr. and sr. high school, so of course signed up for one in college.  It went semi professional and poof... there I was, in a jazz choir being nominated for a grammy (Manhattan Transfer won). When I left that, I took a four week night class on studio make-up... just for fun of course.  My instructor was on a film, needed help and hired me as an assistant.  Seventeen years later (doing mostly commercials) when the silly actors decided to strike I was looking around for something to occupy my time until they came back to work and took a class in something called metal clay.  Well, it was just so darned exciting that after the six month strike was over, I was firmly ensconced in yet another obsession. Then I started teaching, which I absolutely looove.  I really can't imagine not teaching.  It's too rewarding.  But I've never been good with deadlines and making things on demand is stressful to me, so I might could see myself going back to making jewelry for fun, for gifts, for shows etc (I'll always make jewelry). But I can also see myself selling for a good long while to come.  I like the high I get when I know that someone loves my work and wants to wear it.
I have had a recurring fantasy about opening a gallery though.  And if money wasn't a factor, and I didn't have to worry about paying the mortgage, I bet I'd do it in a heartbeat.  I'd love to be able to gather my favorite artist's work around me and share it with other like minded souls. For instance the artist's whose work is peppered throughout this post. Grace Zabriskie's wonderfully imaginative boxes; Molly Hatch's lovely ceramics; anything felted by Lisa Klakulak; Dale Talley's whimsical furniture; Lynn Ludemann's re purposed clocks and of course jewelry made by some of the talented folk who participated in this carnival.  
So, what would you do if someone showered you with gilt?  Would you sail the seven seas, move to the country and learn to lounge, start a business or just keep on keepin' on?

No comments: