Monday, April 14, 2008

Notes From Zenda



Back from my very productive weekend! Saturday morning I completed a Sconce Pin that had been lingering on my bench for weeks and I'm pretty proud of the way it turned out. The lovely "fence" type silver work around the top rim is manufactured gallery wire soldered to the hand crafted fine silver helmet shaped body. Inside the gallery wire is a bezel set labradorite bullet cabochon which is surrounded by warm orange and pink felt (sorry that this quick and dirty photo doesn't show it). The labradorite symbolizes the hot inner blue cone of a flame while the felt represents the soft, bushy cooler area (did y'all know that there are different temperature zones within the body of a flame?). At the bottom of the Sconce, I've wired a dangling golden sapphire briolette to indicate the flickering dance of fire. This is the first in a series of Sconce Pins that I have planned. Tell me what you think of it.  Here's a ring I made in the same manner.  It's being shown at an exhibition at the PMC Conference at Purdue University later this summer. Please forgive the noticeable museum putty.

Then Sunday I escaped my self imposed prison to attend a local PMC Guild meeting. What a joy to have a reason to put up my hair, wear something pretty and see my friends. The meetings are held at a bead shop where I teach, so I was able to say hi to all of the gals that work there too. As an added bonus there was an employee trunk show going on. Lots of pretty things to oogle and admire. The guest lecturer at the meeting was Mickey Steuwe who spoke at length about firing glass, making cabochons and shared a little about how she creates her lovely art glass boxes and vases. It was a really great talk and gave me more insight into an art that I haven't fully explored.  I'm feeling more in tune with my creative impulses and think I may spend the afternoon making a little something metal clay.  Mickey gave me a really unusual glass cabochon with tiny blue bubbles captured in clear glass so perhaps I'll design something inspiring with that.

5 comments:

Amor De Plata said...

Hi Lora,
Lovely blog, I wish I had more time to spend on mine. Your work is lovely! I adore your pin and the ring is fantastic!

Hope you are feeling better.
Martha
Amor De Plata

Lora Hart said...

Thanks Amor! I;m really pleased with the way the ring turned out too. My friend Jacqui Fehl from Asheville sent me some scraps left over from her terrific felted Angel series.

Your work is really great too. I especially like the use of negative space in the Monstera Deliciosa leaf. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Lora ~

HappyDayArt! said...

I love this ring!

Catherine

HappyDayArt! said...

I love this ring!

Catherine

HappyDayArt! said...

oops!