Friday, April 11, 2008

Momentum


I think of momentum as the idea that things in motion stay in motion and things that are static, stay static and still. A perfect description of my creativity. At least the creativity that's supposed to be flowing out of my fingertips. As artists and people who live full lives, we're always wishing there were more hours in the day to make beautiful things, when in reality we have to spend a certain amount of our precious time taking care of the mundane day to day doings of life. Now that I'm feeling better, and with so very much time on my hands... er ... feet, one would think that I'd be at my bench every morning, eager to greet my tools, anxious to rip into that alchemically blue package. But noooo. I've become an expert keyboard surfer, a master channel changer. Homer's couch cushion's butt groove has nothing on mine. I need one of our famous California earthquakes to shake up my equilibrium.

Funnily enough decor8.blogspot.com is doing a great series of articles called "What To Do When You Don't Know What To Do?" Although it doesn't quite speak to my exact dilemma, it got me going this morning. I especially enjoyed Part Two and the interview with Marcia Zia-Priven. Trying to decide what to do with your creative life as part of the big picture involves the same thought processes as trying to decide what to with your creative life in the here and now. The next five minutes can sometimes be as baffling as the next five years.

One thing that I realized as I tried to problem solve my lack of process was that I only like being hands-on creative in the morning. Early morning. As soon as there's light. And I'm over it soon after lunch. After lunch is when I'm good at exercising my left brain. Paying bills, cleaning up, writing. My mundane, day to day doings. And it's the perfect time for keyboard surfing. Since the accident, I've been sleeping late and resting almost immediately. The body's way of healing. Now that I'm almost back to normal and waking up at the crack o' dawn, I'm still in lounge mode and I've realized that getting on the computer early is, to quote Frank Herbert, "a mind killer". I've enjoyed my time with my blog, learning my way around the intricacies of it's HTML, my visits with the many talented professional bloggers I've found in the surf, but I'm afraid I need to ween myself away from the early morning trysts. I'm craving time with my first love. My shiny new laptop will wait until I can give it the attention it deserves, with my afternoon tea. And my jewelry deserves to be treated with the respect it has been missing for a month and a half.

No comments: