Friday, April 25, 2008

Jumping the Gun

Yesterday I posted my carnival blog a day early, so I want to remind you all that the other artists will be adding their entries on their blogs today.  Be sure to check them out!  The links to their sites are in the post below.

And after you're done with that, search the web for info on Philipe Halsman's "The Jump Book".  He developed the concept of "jumpology" in the late 50's and photographed the rich and famous jumping as a relaxation technique before they sat for a portrait.  He thought it made them more comfortable with the camera.  The photo of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor is wonderful as is the one of Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin. And the psychology behind their body positions as they jump is very telling.  

I'm going back to work next weekend and I may try out M. Halsman's theory with my students.  Jumping before playing with clay is sure to get the creative juices flowing!  I own this book and can testify that it's wonderfully inspiring and just too funny for words.  It's still available from Amazon.

2 comments:

Tamra said...

I will have check that book out!

I should jump before I get busy in the studio today...

Love your blog!!!

Lora Hart said...

Thanks Tamra! I've been in love with this book for more than thirty years when I found it at a garage sale. It's the best coffee table or guest room book ever.