Thursday, February 19, 2009

Marriage of Metals...

I had so much fun with copper last weekend, that I wanted to share the experience with my metal clay students. I love mixing materials, experimenting, making things that are slightly outside the norm and inspiring my students to stretch their imaginations.

I thought it would be fun to cut some copper tubing from the hardware store into short lengths and use them as a base for beads. If you want to try this at home, I really suggest you get a tube cutting jig.  Makes it so much easier to saw without fear of servering of a finger. ; - )


Full disclosure alert: The idea for using hardware store supplies was inspired by Vicki Cook's fabulous bracelets.  I own two of her bangles and a charm made for the 2006 conference swap which I wear on my finger. 


Some of the students wanted to put holes in the clay to let the copper show through. I'm hoping they all turn out beautifully.  I'll take pics after the firing and let you see.

1 comment:

Vickie Hallmark said...

Clever! I wasn't familiar with Vicki Cook's bracelets, but I see why you own several.