Monday, February 2, 2009

My Black and White Beauty

My second foray into the One-A-Week jewelry making challenge. I wanted to keep the idea of using materials that are already in my studiolo.

This week I decided to use a real silk cocoon and pearls (big surprise). I had thought about trying to add in some metal clay, but fabrication seemed like the right technique for the design.

I soldered up a bezel setting using some pretty gallery wire, sewed the pearls onto the cocoon and voila!


The top of the pendant says Vision & Insight. I already had the disk cut and stamped from some long forgotten and abandoned class project (taken not taught) and it fit the bezel perfectly so why not use it? Now I have to think of a good story to go with the text. There are a few more pictures on Flickr for the curious among you. 

Rachelle's Feather Ring

Alissa's two finger ring

Check back to see what Laura and Mike dreamt up. Next week's challenge is "Iconic Statement". Make something with a specific fashion icon in mind. This one is hard.  I have no immediate ideas. Hmmmm.....

6 comments:

Boutique By Bonnie said...

I love that pendant - I've never seen anything like it. You work is truly top level. Thank you for sharing it.

Chocolate and Steel said...

how creative! So, you really just had a real silk cocoon laying around. You are certainly interesting:)

by the way, I love your new sun disk pendant

Vickie Hallmark said...

Absolutely gorgeous! For me, a person who is trying to merge fiber, glass and metal into some unifying design, this is just wonderful!

Lora Hart said...

Thanks Everyone. Christine, I bought the cocoons from an Etsy seller, just 'cos I thought they were so interesting. And I'm so glad I finally figured out a way to use them I'm going to make this into a brooch next.

kait said...

Beautiful piece! I love your use of two materials that were naturally created by critters. Maybe the vision & insight story might be something about the creative process...?

alisa said...

stunning! i'll post your pictures on my blog later tonight. i've gotta run to work.