Friday, May 8, 2009

Weekend Eye Candy - Back to Basics Edition

I'm often complimented on the texture and design on the backs of my pieces. Thank you universe! ;-) It's one of the first things I try to teach my students. That even though a rear view isn't the first thing one thinks of when designing, how often have you seen someone stop to admire a pendant, hold it in their hand, turn it this way and that, and then flip it over to look at the underside!

Are they looking for a makers mark? A hallmark? A secret message? I don't really know the answer to that. Probably a combination of all three, But the person who's wearing the jewel has definitely examined every millimeter of a treasured object and will appreciate the careful craftsmanship the creator put into unseen details.

I know I made one sale because the buyer was so delighted to find a hidden pearl nestled into a cavity on the back of a hollow brooch.

So take the time to look at the backs of things, see how they're designed, discover how the technical aspects were accomplished. See if you can absorb a little inspiration to use in your own work.

I've been wanting to start making my own pin backs and the ones pictured here are giving me all sorts of ideas! I see a little fabrication in my future. How 'bout you?

Be sure to stop by Paige and Christine's blogs to enjoy their lovely Eye Candy mosaics.

2 comments:

Angela Crispin said...

This is so true, Lora ! Everyone looks at the back, and it absolutely should look good! It's also nice to look at a piece upside down to check for balance and harmony ;o) Thanks for including my spoon and giving it such good company!
o:-)

Chocolate and Steel said...

nice reminder! That is one thing I love about your jewelry. It is always very well thought out.

All the pieces you choose are so pretty.