Friday, February 12, 2010

Weekend Eye Candy - Marthe Le Van Edition


Marthe Le Van is the editor of Lark Books and joined in the Flickr based Ring A Day challenge when she noticed the postings on FaceBook. The red straw in the third photo was her first creation.

Marthe says: "I am using the last 10 minutes of each work day to make and photograph a ring. All materials come from the trash can in my office, All tools come from desk drawers. As you can no doubt see, I am a book maker NOT a jewelry maker, but this project is too fun to pass up." Her Frozen Series is fabulous. Variations on "rings" made by pouring food coloring (or perhaps Kool-Aid) into fresh snow.

About "Loose Ends" in image 12 she reveals " I shot this image in my office using natural light. The sun comes through my window really strongly at about 4:30 and only lasts about 5 minutes. I always hope to have my ring finished by then! (The ring is on an matte aluminum surface that I think it's some sort of storage box from Ikea.)"

Now, I'm sure Marthe reallllly knows about photography. All about white balance and depth of field. I'm also pretty sure she's using a great camera and not relying on auto focus as I do. But really! In her office using natural light and a storage box? How does she get these super fantabulous images?! Just goes to show what wonderfully creative things one can come up with using a great imagination, thinking out side the proverbial box, found objects and a little knowledge. I look forward to seeing what Ms. Le Van has come up with every day. Her rings are a real inspiration to me.

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

Thanks for sharing these, and giving some story with them. I really enjoyed reading this and looking at the photos.

Lora Hart said...

I do love her rings. Glad you're enjoying them too. Wish you'd play along. It's not too late!

Cathy said...

Wow. talk about trash-to-treasure! Thanks for sharing! Marthe is very creative ;-)