Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Whazzat Mean?

An interesting historical factoid from a post this morning on Orchid:

"The term 'findings' comes from the practice of jewelry makers digging around in their bin of scrap metal to "find" a piece that could be made into a clasp, jump ring or whatever. Hence the name. 'findings'. Amazing what tid bits surface here and there to further our understanding!"

Nowadays the term refers to components that are commercially manufactured and sold. Clasps et al that you make yourself are generally not considered 'findings'.

2 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

Wow. That is GREAT information! I plan to share that with my customers. I know that it is a 'finding' when I find just the right piece. Sometimes I have to make it myself in a very rudimentary way (not like what you would do!)....so what is that sort of clasp or 'finding' called?
Great stuff, Lora! Thanks for sharing! Enjoy the day! Erin

Vickie Hallmark said...

Fun info! I didn't know that.