Sunday, September 7, 2008

Girl Interrupted

Okay.  I've been  a slacker.  I apologize. The Monday after the workshop I was just exhausted and slept almost all day.  The rest of the week I have no excuse for.

So these are the fruits of my labor.  Notice how my Lemon Wedge looks nothing like Barbara's. I simply must be different.  If I had done the project the way it was designed, and then cut it apart and modified it afterwards, I'd have had an easier time of it.  I had to finish at home because I got so frustrated.  But I only stopped working about a half hour before the end of class, so not too bad.  And I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

I love the bronze ring immensely. The carving is a tribute to Celie. I know she's been doing this kind of  carving since before she ever handled the great grey goop, but it's not easy to carve on a small rounded surface that might break at any minute. I have lots of respect for her work now.  Because of course, I had none before. (is sarcasm hard to understand in the written word?)

The other three elements started out as a single round pendant with a hole in the middle.  Of course it broke as I was sanding it.  So I made a little lemonade.

It's my goal to turn the Lemon Wedge and the bronze bits into finished jewelry today.  Wish me luck.  I'll show them to you as soon as I'm finished.  Honest.

No comments: